May I tempt you with sun dried tomatoes ?







For the first time last summer, I let tomatoes dry in the sun on our roof terrace and I was so thrilled by the result that I can't wait for next summer to repeat the experience. It is a tradition here in Andalucia to dry tomatoes or red peppers just like in Italy or other Mediterranean countries. You use a very small portion to add flavor to a soup or a stew as it is very concentrated. Monchéri had seen the women in his family do it in summer when he was a child and this year we wanted to try it. If you feel like experiencing it, the procedure is very simple. We used pear tomatoes which we cut in halves and displayed on a grid placed above a wooden vegetable box. We sprinkled a bit of salt on the tomatoes and put a bit of thyme too. As it was very hot, our tomatoes dried in 4/5 days. Also, you must put them indoors at night and cover them with a cheesecloth to protect them.

I loved going upstairs every morning to uncover my little babies. The room smelled of sugar and thyme.....delightful....
So, have I tempted you to make your own sun dried tomatoes ?

edit to post : I forgot to say, I also eat them as a snack....Delicious with jamon serrano !

Pour la première fois, l'été dernier, j'ai fait sécher des tomates au soleil sur la terrasse sur le toit et j'étais ravie du résultat. Vivement l'été prochain car j'ai très envie de recommencer. Ici en Andalousie, c'est une tradition de sécher les tomates ou les poivrons rouges, comme en Italie ou dans d'autres pays méditerranéens. On utilise seulement une petite portion pour parfumer un potage ou un plat mijoté car le goût est très concentré. Lorsqu'il était gamin, Monchéri a vu les femmes de sa famille pratiquer cette tradition et cette année, on a eu envie d'essayer. Si cela vous tente, la procédure est très simple. Nous avons utilisé des tomates allongées qui sont ensuite coupées en deux et placées sur une clayette au-dessus d'une cagette à légumes. Une petite pincée de sel et quelques brins de thym et voilà. Comme il faisait très chaud, les tomates ont séché en 4/5 jours. Il faut aussi les rentrer à l'intérieur le soir et les recouvrir avec une fine toile (genre toile à fromage) pour les protéger.

C'était un vrai plaisir de monter tous les matins pour découvrir mes petits bébés. La pièce sentait le sucre et le thym....un délice....

Alors, êtes-vous tenté maintenant de faire vos propres tomates séchées ?

ps : j'ai oublié de dire que je les grignote aussi à l'apéro...délicieux avec du jamon serrano !

pics : me


Find me also on my daily Tumblr

and on
Papier mon amour


And a big thank you for following and to my new followers !

Comments

Joyful said…
They look wonderful!
Sun dried tomatoes are so wonderfully full of flavor, and I did not know they were so easy to make! Thanks for the "recipe" Lala.
Linda Sue said…
Oh SO yummy! if I tried to dry tomatoes in the sun here- they would mold and turn to black slime. Mr. sun has forsaken us.
Each of those bites looks like a taste of summer- well done, you! Love the jars, too.
Elizabeth said…
Very tempting indeed, dear Lala.
Sorry I have been so absent.
I miss your beautiful Spain
oxoxo from NY
Unknown said…
Yummy, I shall have to try to dry some too!

Lisa
Caroline said…
These look soooo delicious!
going to try this weekend! good to know to bring them inside during evening darkness hours.

oh how we love sundried tomatoes!
Unknown said…
How luscious they look - I might try them in summer too - thank you for sharing. Our only problem in Sydney will be the summer flies! Francesca
L'Adelaide said…
i adore sun-dried tomatoes...i put mine into olive oil when they are dry and keep them in the dark...absolutely delicious...but never have i been able to dry them in such a short time!!!!!!!! a bit hot there for me, methinks!
so refreshing! I want to try this now!
sharon baker said…
Hey,

Great post... I would like to try it at my home... Thanks
cheap kamagra

Popular Posts