The beauty of the Andalusian patio








Before coming to Andalusia, the word patio wasn't part of my daily vocabulary. And funnily the word Andalusia, brought back in my mind this illustration of the Little Prince lovingly watering his single red rose against a white fence. Since I've been living here, I've visited lots of houses with the traditional Moorish inspired patio and for me, this special space in the house is like a living heart. When I sit in my patio, I enjoy to be outside although it's a walled space and it's my favorite space to relax, read, work and eat in spring and summer.
The photos above were taken in Cordoba and Granada and they keep my inspiration going as to how to make this place look and feel special. I'm not a fan of the white walls overflowing with flowers but it's typical of the Andalusian patio, especially in Cordoba. Also, it makes me pondering about the watering....it must be quite a task !
Now of course, having an open space inside the house also means that good weather is needed because when it rains the house can get easily messy...but luckily....we have plenty of good weather here in Andalusia.....
Have a good start of the week.....

Avant de venir en Andalousie, le mot « patio » ne faisait pas partie de mon vocabulaire quotidien. Et étrangement, le mot « Andalousie » m'évoquait cette illustration du Petit Prince où il arrose amoureusement sa rose rouge contre un muret blanc. Depuis que j'habite ici, j'ai eu l'occasion de visiter plusieurs maisons ayant un patio traditionnel inspiré de l'architecture mauresque. Pour moi, cet espace est comme le coeur de la maison. Quand je suis dans le patio, j'apprécie d'être à l'air libre tout en restant à l'intérieur de quatre murs. Au printemps et en été, c'est là où j'aime me détendre, lire, travailler et manger.
Les photos ci-dessus ont été prises à Cordoue et Grenade. Ce sont des patios qui m'inspirent pour faire de mon petit espace un endroit spécial. Je ne suis pas très fan des murs entièrement couverts de fleurs mais c'est typique du patio andalou surtout à Cordoue...et puis aussi, je n'arrive pas m'imaginer comment arroser tous ces pots !
Et puis bien sûr, avoir un espace ouvert dans la maison exige aussi qu'il fasse beau parce que quand il pleut, ça fait tout de suite un peu brouillon...mais heureusement....le beau temps, ce n'est pas ce qui manque ici en Andalousie....
Bon début de semaine à vous.....


Comments

How beautiful are these patio walls, just brimming with blooms? I feel the same way about our screened veranda Lala, my little slice of summer heaven as we do have mosquitos here so to sit outside all day and night and enjoy the season is divine. It has enhanced our summers so much. We are also mindful of the sun so it protects our fair skin. I work outside too, sometimes in my PJ's......right now in fact! Enjoy Lala, you are surrounded by beauty. XO
I've never seen patios like that before. How beautiful! And as a bonus I picked up a new word. Now I can go home for the day!
Unknown said…
Breathtaking images!!! They bring me in the right mood!
Joyful said…
Wow, these are beautiful. I agree that it would be too much work to water all those containers, lol.
Susana said…
Gorgeous photos, as ever! Sorry I haven´t visited for sooo long! It´s been madness here in London, but things are going well and we are happy. So glad to visit your Castle in Spain again and enjoy your posts full of sunshine and joy!
Unknown said…
Wow the patio pics are gorgeous!!!
Unknown said…
This patio is a sight to behold! It looks like it was taken from a movie set. Everything looks perfect, from the ceiling to the flowers! But what I love the most is the patio floor. It looks classy and stylish. It definitely matches the entire look of the structure.

(Saundra Rieke)
Ernie Khairina said…
I went to Andalusia last winter and now I miss Andalusia all of my heart. Gorgeous photos!

Popular Posts