I love Granada

I love Granada when it shows its love to art. Until march 24th, the city hosts sculptures of Rodin, on plaza Fuente de las Batallas. The famous “Thinker” attracts many Granadinos. I am so enthusiastic whenever art is shown in the city and is not confined within a museum. This kind of event makes people talk, comment, study the lines of a body, or a foot. I myself am completely crazy about sculpted feet...

Also the clear blue sky was a perfect frame for these sculptures when I took these photos yesterday.




this is the fountain on plaza Fuente de las Batallas








this character represents Jean de Fiennes, one of the burghers of Calais

detail of his foot

detail of his hand

this character represents another burgher of Calais , Pierre de Wissant



(who are the burghers of Calais? I'll be brief...In 1347, King Edward III laid siege to the French city Calais. After 11 months, the population was starved and six of the leading citizens (burghers) of Calais offered themselves as hostages to Edward III in exchange for the freedom of the city. They came to the king, barefoot and with a rope around their neck, carrying the keys of the city. Thanks to the king's wife Philippa de Hainaut, the burghers' life was saved and they were deported to England.
In 1885, the town council of Calais commissioned Rodin to produce a sculpture that would pay tribute to the burghers of Calais)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wonderful photos! You're right: That beautiful blue sky makes the perfect background.

Paz
Interesting story about the burghers of Calais; I wonder what sort of life they lived in England and did they ever get to come home??

The Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena, California has a collection of Rodin sculptures, including The Thinker and a group of the burghers. I've seen them there, though I've not visited in a few years (it's close to where I live)....does this mean they are currently on loan to Granada? What a small world it is sometimes!
Unknown said…
really liked the detailing :)
paris parfait said…
Beautiful sculptures - I didn't know the history of their role. Thanks for this!

Popular Posts