This is no country for hard workers....

You know the saying, the grass is always greener somewhere else....In that case, I should say, the sea is always more blue under other skies. No, I'm not referring to my beloved Andalusia but to another little corner of the world not so far away : Oia in Santorini island, in the Aegan sea. A few days ago, I received a very nice email from a new blogger who settled on the island with his wife and kids, bought a cave and made a cosy nest for his family. Michael invited me to have a look at his blog which is a real "invitation au voyage". And it's my pleasure today to invite you to discover this tiny paradise, if you don't know it yet.
apparently, this is no country for hard workers and yet...
you see, when you build a house in a cave, there is a lot to dig and consequently lots of dirt, which piles up then has to be collected and transported by mules. So yes, here are some of the hard workers !
but then, when the hard work is finished, you can always relax in front of a glass of ouzo and a plate of grilled fish....by the sea, of course
or take a walk in the country side and visit the church
and admire the view from there
No...it might not be a country for hard workers but it is definitely inspiring to artists. Michael's wife creates ceramics, textiles, jewelry and handpainted cards. Here are some pics of her beautiful work...




all pics are Michael's
oiasantorini


well....after visiting Michael's blog, Monchéri said we should forget about Formentera, Mallorca and that Oia was the next place to visit....we'll see !

My lovelies, I wish you a very good week...I hope to be back on wednesday, my computer is still a bit ill and needs more medication.

May I ask a bit of your time and visit a dear blogging friend, Julie from Tangobaby ? Julie lives in San Francisco and recently started a blog called i live here : SF, about the people who live there. A few days ago, as she was walking in the street, she met Kelaya and her kids. Kelaya is an abused woman who is now homeless with her kids. When Julie passed by her, she was holding a sign reading : Please help, we need 60$ for a motel room. At first Julie, just kept walking but then she had seen the tears in this woman's eyes and turned back and gave the woman 30$. The two women talked and because Julie has a very generous heart, and Kelaya's story moved her, she sought to organize some help for this woman and her little kids. She set up a paypal account on her blog, asked her blogging friends if perhaps we could help by spreading the story, giving a bit of money, and when I say a bit, it could be 1$ or 2$ or 5$. Of course, we cannot carry all the weight of the world but helping each other is certainly one of the most beautiful things in this world. Thank you for reading this....


Comments

Nicole said…
This someone's home? AMAZING! I've always wanted to go to Greece - I think now I must! The sea is so clear! I'm in love - such beauty!!!
ceecee said…
Hello Lala -
Isn't this the most beautiful place! I just met Michael the other day and he is very charming. Imagine such a view! I hope your computer is better soon.
Catherine
corine said…
we might have to do a bloggers reunion in Santorini.

corine/hidden in france
Carla said…
thanks for the note about Henri. This is an amazing place, i am so in love with greece. Thanks for letting me know. Carla
.........it looks like someone went to paradise and remembered to take some photos to show them back to us fellows down on earth. And I thought I was living pretty much near heaven!! loool

Thank you for sharing the support story!
No, this is what I call blue! And yes, I love that colour. Many thanks.

Greetings from London.
Swetha said…
thats a beautiful place!! wow ! i loved the blue sea.. its so perfect! even i wish to go and visit this place once... its looks so serene and lovely!
Unknown said…
i could lose myself in that blue!

the story touches somewhere deep inside me.
Elizabeth said…
So blue and so beautiful.
Greetings, dear friend, from New York.
Fifi Flowers said…
What a FAB place... GORGEOUS GORGEOUS!!!
Stunning photos of a beautiful island in the sun - thanks for sharing the plight of the poor lady in SF...I'm offt o check out Tangobaby's blog..:)
Yoli said…
Lala this is paradise. Stunning. I visited Julie a while back. I am so proud of what she is doing for that family.
Dutchbaby said…
Greece is definitely on my bucket list - you've convinced me it should be sooner rather than later. The photos are fabulous. My faves are the donkeys and the see-through aqua-colored water.
Britt-Arnhild said…
WOW! My favorite bue everywhere.

I'll be going to Spain for the first time in September :-)
Delphine said…
I had already found Michael's blog and was absolutely knocked out by the photos and his enterprise!
Scarlet said…
What a view! What a place!! Oia is a sight for sore eyes.

Julie sounds like a doll; I will visit her shortly. Thanks for sharing her story!
Helena said…
Oh my God what a place! How do I buy a cave? :-)
Fex said…
nice place....
Merisi said…
Gorgious!
"Blue dipinto di blue",
as Dominico Mudogno put it so beautifully in his "Volare" song.
christina said…
It's my idea of paradise. : ) Beautiful shots!
beyaz mendil said…
Merhaba,resimler çok güzel.Sevgilerimle
Peggy said…
Thank you for featuring this on your blog - Santorini is such a beautiful place and I may never have found Michael's blog if you hadn't featured it. BTW, I very much enjoy your blog - and made a mention of both it and Michael's blog in my post of today.
Relyn Lawson said…
I dream of Greece. I do mean that literally. It's been at the top of my travel wish list for years. My family has finally made a real plan to travel to Greece. It's still a few years away, but I'm giddy. My parent's 50th wedding anniversary, our 20th, and my brother's 10th all fall in the same year from May 31 to October 10. Instead of throwing parties or giving gifts, we're taking a family trip to Greece - with Sloane, the only grandchild. Your lovely post has made me even more eager.

Popular Posts