Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Childhood memory

My sister's email inspired my post today.
She said she made a quick visit to Aix-en-Provence,
went to our former school and of course bought some calissons,
these lozenge-shaped exquisite sweets made with almonds and sugared melons. Lucky girl !
Me, I have a box at home but it is sadly empty.
I keep it for the souvenir and nostalgia of sweet childhood days.
I also discovered that French pastry makers Philippe Conticini and Angelo Muso
created a cake based on the calisson for their Pâtisserie des Rêves in Paris.
It has the same shape as a calisson and tastes like one but it is an individual cake.
Now I have to go to Paris to taste it....

Tell you know the calissons d'Aix ?

pics :
#1 me
#2 Bernard Touillon pour Côté Sud

La Pâtisserie des Rêves
96, rue du Bac
75007 Paris


Yoli said...

That looks delicious!

The Girl from Cherry Blossom Street said...

Lala, how I've missed you!
What is a Calissons d'Aix!? They look utterly delish!

Mélanie A. said...

ah oui les calissons .. Malheureusement , je ne les aime pas

David Engel said...

I do not know the calissons d'Aix. How could they have escaped me?!!??!!? I'd meet you in Paris to try the pastry though.



Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

Ah, I adore these - I can imagine it all on the palate. So toothsome!
And I adore your sardine post below;-)

donna said...

i was in Aix 2 years ago and didn't buy any, and i now regret it...i live in southern california, and i realize it would be like not trying a taco here....they are a part of the culture...are they truly delicious? i need to go back to try one!

Mademoiselle Poirot said...

Oh yes, I know those calissons...I actually mailed a box of them to the man I now call "my other half" before we had even met - it's a long story ;-) Maybe they're responsible for us being together?...Thanks sooo much for the lovely welcome back to blog land, your comment was so sweet and kind. Love from London x

Linda Sue said...

No but if wishes were fishes I would have several! I should go to Paris soon!

A Thousand Clapping Hands said...

For as often as I've seen them in gourmet shops here, I've never tasted one. I don't know why - I love the box, the shape, the white coating. Next time I won't pass them up!
Catherine xx

Ingrid De Villiers said...

Wow, those calissons look delicious! I hope your empty box at home will be filled up soon with Calissons d'Aix...!

Genie said...

I do not know them, but I will be trying the cake the next time I am in Paris. I have been to Pâtisserie des Rêves but did not know about calisson. Your photo of the empty box is lovely, but the empty box makes me a little sad.

Calissons d'Aix, cakes... miam-miam!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin