Rainy Granada and a remembrance of Ireland

We are in the rainy days here in Granada and suddenly I remembered my year in Ireland, in Dublin.
Of course these two places have apparently nothing in common. Andalusia is mostly sunny and dry. Ireland is forever green and counts many more rainy days on the calendar. And yet, it's funny how I keep finding similarities between two countries, two people seemingly different. I lived in Ireland when I was an English student and it has been love at first sight. I was first in love with its poets and writers and then when I discovered the country I thought : this is the place where I want to live. And I kept going back whenever I could. And then, I followed another path, I went to the States for another year, then back to France again and today I live in Andalusia, in southern Spain. Although, I claim it my home, I still feel a strong attachment to Ireland and can't wait to go back some day with Monchéri. 

For me, Irish people have a sense of of what I call  poetical craziness which I also perceive in Spanish people, especially here in Andalusia. Don't get me wrong, this phrase bears no pejorative connotation. I can't really explain rationally. May be it has to do with the way they embrace life : with strength but also resignation, with a sense of drama mixed with exuberant joy, pride and humility at the same time.


 One of my best moments in Ireland was a long night spent by the fireplace in a pub with friends, on the beautiful western coast near Sligo. The car we were driving came to a dead stop in the middle of the countryside. It was raining and luckily we found an old stone house which was a pub. As usual, it didn't take long to engage conversation with the other people having a drink there. May be, that night I drank too much Irish Mist but I suddenly got up and started to sing the chorus of the slaves from Nabbuco's opera. (at that time I was singing in the choir of the university but would never never dare sing as a soloist). It was the first time and surely the last, that I did such a thing. I guess, this is how the Irish magic operated on me.

And I like to think the Andalusian magic does the same to me.....


Wishing you a great week.....
xLala


Ces jours-ci, il pleut à Grenade et soudain je me souviens de mon année passée en Irlande, à Dublin. Bien sûr, ces deux lieux n'ont rien en commun. L'Andalousie est souvent ensoleillée et sèche. L'Irlande est constamment verte et compte bien plus de jours pluvieux dans le calendrier. Et pourtant, c'est drôle mais je trouve des similarités entre ces deux pays et ces deux peuples apparemment différents. J'ai vécu en Irlande lorsque je faisais des études d'anglais et je suis tout suite tombée amoureuse. D'abord, j'ai aimé ses poètes et ses écrivains et puis en découvrant le pays, je me suis dit : c'est là que je je veux vivre. J'y retournais dès que je pouvais. Et puis, j'ai suivi un autre parcours, je suis allée aux États-Unis, pendant un an, puis suis retournée en France et aujourd'hui, je vis en Andalousie, au sud de l'Espagne. Même si, je me sens désormais chez moi ici, je ressens toujours un profond attachement pour l'Irlande et j'ai hâte d'y aller un jour avec Monchéri.

 Pour moi, les Irlandais ont un sens que je nomme une « folie poétique » que je perçois aussi chez les Espagnols, en particulier les Andalous. Ne vous méprenez pas, cette expression n'a aucune connotation péjorative. Je ne peux pas expliquer de manière rationnelle. Sans doute, cela est lié à la manière dont ils embrassent la vie : avec force mais aussi résignation, avec un sens du tragique mêlé à une joie exubérante, une fierté et une humilité en même temps.

L'un de mes meilleurs moments en Irlande fut une longue soirée passée près d'un feu de cheminée, dans un pub avec des amis, sur la magnifique côte ouest, près de Sligo. Notre voiture ne voulait plus rien savoir et nous a plantés en pleine campagne. Il pleuvait et heureusement, nous avons trouvé une vieille maison en pierres transformée en pub. Comme toujours, cela n'a pas pris longtemps pour engager la conversation avec les autres clients. Sûrement, ce soir-là j'ai trop bu d'Irish Mist mais soudain je me suis levée et ai commencé à chanter l'air des esclaves de Nabucco. (à cette époque je chantais dans le choeur de l'université mais jamais, jamais de la vie, je n'aurais osé chanté en soliste). C'était la première fois et sûrement la dernière, que j'ai fait une chose pareille. C'était comme si la magie irlandaise avait opéré sur moi, le temps d'un instant....

Et j'aime penser que la magie andalousie a le même effet sur moi...


 Bonne semaine à vous...
xLala.



Comments

Gina said…
Dear Lala, I started to read your blog post and marvelled at how beautifully you are able to convey your feelings. And then I reached the last paragraph and with amazement I read that you sang my most favorite piece of music, the Chorus of the Slaves from Verdi's opera, Nabbucco, in an Irish Pub.
Dear Lala, I loved reading this story about your life! I feel like we all know you a little better now. Wish I had been there when you sang the chorus of the slaves in the pub! I agree with you about the "poetical crazy" qualities of the Irish...there's a bit of the Irish in me, and I married someone of Irish descent and we're both a little bit poetically crazy...

Popular Posts